Resources for Students
This page lists various summer opportunities for high school students. Some of these are paid / unpaid internships, opportunities for employment, academic programs at local institutions or lastly volunteer positions (to gain experience and make a positive contribution) in and around the Boston area. Many of the websites and organizations have online applications and deadlines.
Websites for high school internships and summer employment
- Museum of Science Paid Summer Internship
- Summer Teen Internships at the Boston Aquarium
- Internships through Zoo New England at the Franklin Park Zoo - Scroll down to Youth Programs Internships
- STEM high school internships in Massachusetts -Links to programs in the Boston / Cambridge area for the summer. There are a few that take place during the school year.
- City of Boston Resources for Teens - Scroll down to the bottom for “Resources for Teens” to find job & internship opportunities with the City of Boston.
- City of Boston’s Youth Engagement Website - Students can register with SuccessLink to be considered for the summer job program. Must be between 15 - 18 years old and a resident of the city of Boston. There is no guarantee of a summer job.
- City of Cambridge Mayor’s Summer Youth Employment Program - Must be a resident of Cambridge.
- Tufts School of Medicine Teachers & High School Students Summer Program - Students must be at least 16 years old and in grades 10 through 12. Five week long program on Tufts’ Boston Health Sciences campus in various positions. These opportunities are geared “especially to students from socioeconomic and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds, and students under-represented in medicine communities.”
- City of Boston - Website for jobs, internships & volunteering for teens.
The Boston Public Library’s Teen Webpage - Dedicated to listings of afterschool & summer employment in Boston, volunteer opportunities and many additional useful online resources.
Searchable databases - use these to find opportunities based on your interests and locations
- Internships.com - a searchable database to find internships by location.
Indeed.com - a searchable database to locate internships by location. Some are during the school year and a few offer an hourly wage. This database often asks for a high school diploma, so each brief description must be glanced at.
Educational summer programs in the Boston area
The TeenLife Database - pulls up over 200 programs (academic, camps, design, etc.) at local area colleges requiring payment to attend but offering a wonderful experience. Some of the programs listed are travel programs offering volunteer opportunities or study abroad.
Volunteer opportunities in the Boston area
- Volunteer opportunities at the Museum of Science
- Summer teen internships at the Boston Aquarium
- Volunteer opportunities through Zoo New England at the Franklin Park Zoo and the Stone Zoo - Various programs by age and season.
- Teen programs and volunteering at the MFA
- Teens Behind the Scenes program at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- Campus Ministry suggestions